Saturday, November 21, 2009

So, what should a person do if they are refused services?

Today another young woman called that I referred to the Floyd County Health Department for STD testing. She called and, like many, many others before her, was told that at minimum an STD visit would be $100.00 to $150.00. She told me that she told the rude person on the phone that she was unemployed and had no income. They were unconcerned and did not offer to scale the visit down to what she could afford. On Monday, another woman called who actually got into the health department for an STD exam when she had symptoms, but was told “they only do things on the inside” and did not offer her any STD screening for her external rash, though they had treated her for syphilis earlier this year. The patient called to say “I guess I’m back to nothing.”

A commenter on my post yesterday suggested a complaint form for women who are slighted by the Floyd County Health Department. What a great idea. Two weeks ago, I e-mailed all of our Floyd County Commissioners and asked them who a person with a complaint about the Floyd County Health Department should contact. I'm still waiting for a response.

No comments: