Saturday, July 18, 2009

Do we REALLY have the "best system of healthcare in the world?"

Last week the Rome News-tribune ran a short story about our new womens clinic. Since that time I've been on the phone (see picture of messages!) talking to local women who left these messages after reading the story:


· “I can’t remember the last time I had a Pap smear.”
· “The Free Clinic said I have cysts on my ovaries, but they can’t do anything about it.”
· “I’m 38 years old and don’t have insurance. I haven’t had a Pap smear in over five years and I have been bleeding for the last six months.”
· “I have six kids and don’t want anymore. I’ve been to the health department and everywhere and can’t find any help.”
· “I had cervical cancer in 1980 and had to have a hysterectomy. I haven’t been able to afford a check-up in about 10 years.”
· “My last Pap smear was six years ago.”
· “I can’t find anyone to check me for an infection.”
· “My last Pap smear was in 2006.” I had to quit work to take care of my paralyzed daughter so I don’t have insurance”
· “Its been 13 years since I had a Pap smear, I read in the paper that your office visits were $20.00.” When I explained to her that labs had to be extra and the lab charged $29.00 to run a Pap smear, she could not afford the extra $29.00. She’ll try the health dept. again-but they told her it was $150.00 the last time she called.
· “I had to stop my cholesterol medicine four months ago because I can’t afford it, how much does a cholesterol test cost?”
· “I have an IUD that is overdue to be removed. I called the health dept. and they said they’d “try” to take it out. The doctor that put it in wants $175.00 to take it out. I haven’t had a Pap smear since it was put in six years ago.”
· “I have a knot on my privates that is getting bigger, it costs too much to go to the E.R. I can’t afford a Pap smear”
· “I haven’t had a period in over three months and I’m not pregnant. I never could get an appointment at the health department and I don’t know what is wrong.”

No comments: